You should consult an allergist to find out if you are allergic. Your health care provider or mental health provider will ask additional questions based on your responses, symptoms and needs. Preparing and anticipating questions https://accountingcoaching.online/alcoholism-anger-management-mental-health/ will help you make the most of your appointment time. Alcoholics who begin a program of nutrient repair often incorporate a multivitamin, among other supplements, to help cover a wide range of nutritional bases.
- First, you’ll need a full nutritional workup from your family doctor.
- Dihydromyricetin (DHM) is an over-the-counter herbal remedy well-known for soothing hangovers.
- Rest assured that there are compounds from each of these categories that work incredibly well for alleviating alcohol withdrawals and restoring healthy body chemistry.
- There are particular recommended vitamins for a recovering alcoholic.
- Upon cessation of alcohol use, the body undergoes withdrawal symptoms such as depression and anxiety, sleeplessness, and fatigue.
More specifically, B vitamins can aid in the alcohol withdrawal process. Thiamine is a vital nutrient for your body’s energy metabolism and can prevent the development of Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome during alcohol withdrawal. Additionally, insufficient folic acid levels can cause anemia. During alcohol detox, your treatment UK construction dives amid housebuilding slump and HS2 pause Construction industry team will likely give you an oral multivitamin containing folic acid. Moreover, it is common for alcoholics to have depleted magnesium. Supplementing magnesium during alcohol detox can help improve some withdrawal symptoms.4 Magnesium helps your body absorb other vitamins, eases muscle aches and tension, and aids in sleep.
How Nutrition Helps With Recovery
The best treatment for alcoholism varies depending on the situation. However, the most effective treatment for alcoholism with a success rate of more than 80% is inpatient alcohol rehab. Inpatient alcohol rehab is the best treatment method because it isolates people from alcohol, triggers, and other factors that cause addiction.
- If asked about herbal treatments for a drinking problem, it is advisable to recommend speaking with a professional rather than self-treatment with over-the-counter supplements.
- Learn more about the role of benzodiazepines for alcohol withdrawal.
- Cannabidiol, or CBD, is a compound that naturally occurs in the cannabis plant.
- During alcohol withdrawal, your immune system health is compromised due to added stress, which hinders normal nervous system functions.
- Your health care provider or counselor can suggest a support group.
- One of the most common effects of excessive alcohol consumption is damage to your liver.
It eases inflammation and protects the thin layer that surrounds your brain cells, called the cell membrane. Canola, olive, safflower, sesame, and sunflower oils are good sources of healthy fats. Too little could eventually cause serious learning and memory problems, a condition called Wernicke-Korsakoff’s syndrome. Eat beans, peas, lentils, pork, brown rice, and fortified foods like breakfast cereal. Our representatives work for a treatment center and will discuss whether their facility may be an option for you.
B-Complex Vitamins for Recovering Alcoholics
That is, when alcohol is consumed there is an initial energy rush, followed by a severe drop in energy due to dropping sugar levels (blood glucose levels). Alcohol interacts with neurotransmitters including gamma-aminobutyric acid. Therefore, if individuals stop or reduce their alcohol intake, their brain must readjust, leading to withdrawal symptoms. Vitamin C is another important vitamin for recovering alcoholics.